Monday, August 18, 2008

The Ignorance of People

One of June VOGUE fashion spreads, titled "From Here to Timbuktu", did leave some perplexing sentiments in me as I flipped through the pages. I actually felt a sense of disgust. I have no idea what An_a Wi_to_r of VOGUE was even thinking to run such an article. But dont get me wrong, Anna, you are sophisticated but then again if I had that amount of money, I could appear just as sophisticated as well. I digress.
As much as I loved the vibrancy of the photo shoot with arrays of colours splashed across the page but to label the photo captions along with the prices of each piece of garment knowing that the photos had the poorest of the poor children of Africa in them? It was really disguting! And the worst of it all, to top off the ignorance of the fashion magazine, whilst the model, Liya Kebede, was clad in these expensive designer luxury wear; the children photographed wore their own clothes! Which we all are aware consists of mix and matched hand me down clothes or shall I say rags, sent from all the world. And another thing that comes to my mind, were the Africans in the backdrop even paid by VOGUE for photographing them? Even if not paid, perhaps paid in exchange for food ration or something close to that sort. I really hope so cause they really could use the money or food supplies!

A $3,915 Cavalli pleated chiffon dress and $1,835 blouse.
A $1,195 Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiere silk dress.
Yes, there is a significant vast difference of the top to bottom scale of richness and poorness in the world, but to photograph it? Was there really a need to capture and publicize such divarication? Could they not just have filmed in the wilderness of Africa, with animals as a backdrop of the photograph instead of using the poor children of Africa?

No comments: