Monday, September 8, 2008

Ignorance and Close Mindedness


I live in Singapore. I am not Chinese but I have been born in this 'somewhat' Chinese country where around 80% of our population are Chinese. Well, the word 'somewhat' is rather forgiving! So, has it been difficult for me? Not really, I've well learnt to live with it, as I turn right and turn left, all I hear is Chinese being spoken till I can speak and understand Chinese to a certain extent.

In Primary School, we had to opt for a second language as a subject. And there were only two options we could choose from, Malay or Chinese. I am not Malay either and given these two options, Malay was the easier language to grasp as it uses the English alphabet hence I took Malay as a second language. In my Primary school, the students who opted for Malay as their 2nd language, had to switch to another class everyday. Everyday, the Chinese teacher would enter the classroom and go like, 'Ok Malay girls go to your Malay class now' This was annoying when said everyday and one day a 9 year old me, pardon me I was young, went up to her and said, Some of us are not Malay, so can you not call us,'Malay girls go to your other classroom' Then she would look at me blankly and reply, 'Yes, you are! All the same la...You learning Malay, so you are Malay!' No, its not all the same, dumbass. Shame on you, kids have to be taught by your incompetent close minded brain. (For those non Singaporeans, 'La' is a Singaporean slang term. Normally added at the back of a sentence for extra oomph and colour!) So, at 9 years old, I would question myself on why a 40 year old woman, teacher furthermore, could be such a mooncalf!

Now I am in my 20's and I still get people between the ages of 30-45,(mind you) still asking me,Re: It's the Muslim fasting month this September.
"You're Catholic right? How come you are not fasting?" My reply, "Fasting? It's the Muslim fasting month now you know. Why should I be fasting now? Catholics and Muslims dont have the same fasting month!" Gosh! The ignorance of these people really frustrate me! Are you for real sir, mam? No seriously... are you for real?"

There's also people I've met along the way that think just because your name doesnt end with a Chan, Tan, Ng or Lee, and that you have an English surname, you must be Malay. Let me clear the air for you, Malays do not have English names/surnames!
That's why I say, new parents or parents to be, please teach your kids about the different types of races and religions out here in Singapore and the history of these races/religions as well. There are other races here besides just the Malay and Chinese you know. Malays have Malay names, such as Siti, Fatimah, Nurul, Aishah followed by binte Ahmad etc...When someone has an English surname, such as Conceicao, Fitzpatrick, De Costa, Dragon, Fox, Neubronner, Monteiro, Woodford, etc, they normally are Catholics/Eurasians and in no way are Muslims/Malays. Ok got it! Or do i have to write these things in a convenient Handbook and print and bind them as a Your Guide to the Different Races and Religions in Singapore, and have every Primary School Principal give these out to students on their First Day of School!

No comments: